A few years ago, I had the privilege of meeting Bonnie Zacherle, the creator of MY LITTLE PONY. She is a wonderfully funny, talented, and sweet person and I feel lucky to call her a friend. Her innovative idea of small cuddly ponies with brushable manes shaped my childhood and those of millions of others around the world.
While playing a table topics game with my extended family during the Christmas of 2012, I was asked to name three people (living or deceased) with whom I would like to spend a day. I instantly answered Bonnie Zacherle and Walt Disney, but was at a loss for a third.
A few months later in April of 2013, I was given the opportunity to visit Bonnie Zacherle in her home. I was beyond excited to be spending the day with her, chatting about the history of MY LITTLE PONY, and even getting to see and hold her original PONY prototype models. I don’t think I’ve ever smiled so big in a photo!
Since that first meeting, I’ve had the pleasure of hosting Bonnie at the 2013 and 2014 MY LITTLE PONY Fair and traveling with her to New York last spring. I feel grateful to have met Bonnie and I look forward to many more visits and chats in the future. She is an amazing lady and deserves to be celebrated.
Happy Birthday, Ms. Bonnie Zacherle! I hope you have a lovely day.
One of the perks of running the Fair is the ability to be able to have lots of Pony conversations with the Guests of Honor. It is crazy the little tidbits about Pony that both Bonnie Zacherle and Liz Knight have shared during our conversations. One such fact was why the G1s have tail washers.
According to Liz (and Bonnie confirmed this), when they first made the original 6 Ponies(Cotton Candy, Minty, etc.) they noticed that they kept falling over on their faces because their heads were too heavy and the Ponies weren’t balanced. To solve this issue, someone in the office suggested putting a weight on the inside of the pony near the Pony’s back legs so it would stand upright without falling on its nose. The end solution was the tail washer, which was also incorporated into how the hair was installed to make it appear fuller (so the tail washer ended up pulling double duty of the first six ponies!)
I thought this was a pretty neat little Pony fact.
* I found this photo that illustrated perfectly what a tail washer is and its location in a pony on Sail-Away’s Harbor. There was also a step by step tutorial for removing a pony’s head and tail, but thankfully not how to dissect a Pony into halves.
Here’s a few little things that didn’t seem worth a whole blog post:
- So you were thinking of trying to customize a My Little Pony, hmm? http://is.gd/gKREy
- Passion for what you collect is a gift, a collector’s high http://is.gd/gKRpv
- Big massive Thank You to Mark Bellomo for his kind words about Summer Hayes’ My Little Pony books in this interview: http://is.gd/gKJhT
- When Sarah Palin made that “unicorn ranch” comment, I was all like the Show Stable in Dream Valley? Democrats live with Lemon Drop? My Little Pony is so rarely a hot button political topic, I feel like we should embrace this. I had no idea Sarah Palin was an MLP gal.
- Guys, I kinda hate the new My Little pony logo: http://is.gd/fX9bZ How about you?
- What do we think of this screenshot from the new My Little Pony cartoon? http://is.gd/fPRzA
- Win “new look” Twilight Sparkle, Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, Applejack, Fluttershy or Rarity! in this Hasbro contest http://is.gd/fKLsX
- Aw, @oatmeal is wearing a My Little Pony hat for his birthday! http://is.gd/fKGQn
- So, Long Time, No Post http://bit.ly/aERgmz (From Summer Hayes)
- I object to My Little Pony belonging to the “world of psychedelic hallucinations” http://is.gd/fvJr7 Also, she spelled psychedelic wrong.
- Still can’t figure out what this has to do w/ MLP but here you go: Care Bears and My Little Pony: Brooklyn Treasure Trove http://is.gd/faoRQ
- My Little Pony creator Bonnie Zacherle will be doing a signing at this fundraiser in Virginia http://is.gd/faoJY
- You are so sweet, thank you! RT @MariaMargarit_: @MLPCollecting Hello, there! You have a very nice site and your books are just great.
- Not to be a stickler for details but this “My Little Pony Bomb Scare” has nothing to do with MLP. http://is.gd/f4eYS Wrong toy, kiddies.
- FYI, http://mlpcollecting.com and http://mylittleponycollecting.com now both go to the same place!
- pricednostalgia Actor George DiCenzo, Voice of Hordak on ‘She-Ra’, Dies http://is.gd/elK2D
ONE FOR THE GIRLS: Bonnie Zacherle, one of the original ‘My Little Pony’ designers, signs an autograph and draws a pony for a youngster during an appearance at Hasbro’s booth. [SOURCE]
One audience member asked [Todd] McFarlane if he could draw a “My Little Pony” sketch for his wife, as several other Image creators – including Kirkman – have already contributed. “I might be able to do it, but you must realize that Todd’s ‘My Little Pony’ is slightly different than everybody else’s,” he joked. “Dark form with the big thorns coming in, then you take that big stretchy tail and strangle people… ‘My Little Pony,’ this!” [SOURCE]
Meanwhile, over in Villainville, Dr. Doom and the Lethal Legion are plotting to take over the world. To give you an idea of what kinds of villainy we’re dealing with, they did a special cast reading at the convention. It’s plot: Dr. Doom’s quest to acquire an exclusive My Little Pony collectible. The series kicks off with a four-episode marathon on Cartoon Network September 19, and I’m strangely very excited about it. [SOURCE] and [SOURCE]
Were you at the event this weekend? Share with us your MLP memories!
the ultimate resource for MLP collectors with news, articles, trivia, checklists and price guides